Friday

Child Labor Law: Florida

I went to high school in Tallahassee, Florida. When I was in High School my parents gave me the option of either playing in the band, playing sports or getting a job. I chose the band my freshman year and sports the other three years. It's crazy how having my skull mashed in playing football and having my arms wrenched out of the sockets on the wrestling team were more appealing than getting a job; but such was the case.

When it finally came time for me to get a job I went to the local recreation department and hired on as a part-time umpire. Not exactly what my parents had in mind. I used to tell them that the Child Labor Law prohibited me from doing anything more taxing (as if 3 hours standing in the hot sun for marching band rehearsal was easy). But what does the Florida Child Labor Law really say?

Minors Under 18 Years Old
Florida's Child Labor Law applies to workers under the age of 18. It prohibits such minors from working in hazardous occupations like construction, electrical work, roofing, mining, excavation, or operating heavy machinery. It also prohibits minors from working around explosives. So much for Mr. Garth's science class.

Minor Work Hour Restrictions
Unless exempted, minors cannot work during school hours. One of the exemptions includes a DCT class my wife (then girlfriend) took that allowed her to earn high school credit while working with a draftsman and getting paid for it. Minors 14 and 15 can only work 15 hours per week when school is in session. Minors 16 and 17 may work up to 30 hours per week when school is in session.

When school is out, minors 14 and 15 may work 40 hours per week, eight hours per day between 7a and 9p. Minors 16 and 17 may work as many hours as they choose when school is not in session.
SHARE:
© CORPUS JURIS. All rights reserved.